ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new ladies black M motion flex show jacket B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new small black motion flex jacket B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new ladies black XS motion flex show jacket B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new black AA motion flex show jacket XXS B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new ladies M motion flex show coat B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new ladies motion flex show coat small B
ALESSANDRO ALBANESE new ladies XXS navy motion flex show coat B
RJ CLASSIC ladies soft shell shadbelly black with print new 6R B
Find your dream saddle in 2023!
Be Prepared for Horse Summer Camp!
Horse Summer Camp Essentials: Everything Your Kid Needs to Have Fun and Stay Safe
Horseback riding summer camp is a great way for kids to learn new skills, make new friends, and have fun with horses. But before they head off to camp, they need to pack some essential items to make their experience safe and enjoyable. Here are some tips on what kids need for horseback riding summer camp. Always check with the program you or your child will be attending and adhere to their given supply list, as different camps may have different requirements.
Getting ready can feel overwhelming, especially if you or your child are new to riding. We're here to help and make finding what you need easy breezy! Chat with us, call us, or visit any of our locations and expert staff would be happy to help you prepare stress-free! Check our Locations page for addresses, phone numbers, hours, and more for our locations in Maryland and Delaware, convenient to riders in and around Virginia, Washington D.C., Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
So, what does my kid really need?
The most important thing that kids need for horseback riding summer camp is proper riding gear. This includes:
• A helmet that fits well and meets ASTM/SEI standards. Helmets protect the head from serious injuries in case of a fall or a kick from a horse. Some camps may provide helmets, but it's always a good idea to bring your own if you have one.
Need a helmet or want to have the fit of yours checked? We carry brands such as Ovation, IRH, One-K, and Charles Owen. Visit any of our Locations or give us a call! 410-771-4135
• Boots that have a low heel and cover the ankle. Boots prevent the foot from slipping through the stirrup and getting caught. They also protect the feet and ankles from scratches and bruises. Avoid sneakers, sandals, or any shoes that have loose laces or buckles that can get tangled in the stirrup. Be sure the boot fits well and is not too loose or too tight to prevent rubs and blisters.
• Safety vest. Not all programs will require a vest, but extra protection is never a bad idea. Safety vests are fitted to protect from impact
Shop protective vests
• Long pants that are comfortable and durable. Pants protect the legs from chafing and rubbing against the saddle and the horse's body. They also keep the rider warm and dry in different weather conditions. Jeans, leggings, or riding breeches are all good options. Avoid shorts, skirts, or any pants that are too loose or too tight as they can cause rubs and chafing.
• Shirts that are breathable and sun-protective. Long sleeve sun shirts keep the rider cool and comfortable in hot weather and prevent sunburns. They also protect the arms and torso from insect bites or scratches from plants. Long-sleeved shirts, t-shirts, or polo shirts are also suitable.
Besides riding gear, kids also need some other essentials for horseback riding summer camp. These include:
• Water bottle to stay hydrated throughout the day. Riding can be physically demanding and cause dehydration, especially in warm weather. Kids should drink plenty of water before, during, and after riding sessions.
• Sunscreen. Riding exposes the rider to direct sunlight for long periods of time, which can cause sunburns, premature aging, and skin cancer. Kids should apply sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every two hours or more often if they sweat a lot.
Visiting our Butler location? Pop across the parking lot to our women's clothing store Butler Corner Clothing for sunscreen for a one-stop-shop! Live too far to visit? We can ship to you!
• Bug spray. Riding takes place in natural environments where insects are abundant and can transmit diseases or cause allergic reactions. Kids should spray bug repellent on their skin and clothing before going outside.
• Snacks. Healthy snacks that are high in protein and complex carbohydrates, such as nuts, cheese, fruit, granola bars, or yogurt are great options that will keep your kiddo full and ready for fun!
Depending on the camp's policies and facilities, kids may also want to bring some optional items for horseback riding summer camp. These include:
• Gloves to protect the hands from blisters and calluses caused by holding the reins. Gloves also improve grip and control over the horse. Leather or synthetic gloves that fit snugly are recommended.
• Chaps or half-chaps to cover the lower legs and provide extra protection and stability. Chaps or half-chaps prevent the pants from riding up or twisting around the legs. They also help the rider stick to the saddle and avoid slipping.
• Riding crop.
• Grooming tote and brushes. Some camps may allow you to bring your own grooming tools. We sell conveniently sized totes that are easy for the littlest riders to carry. We stock hard and soft brushes, curry combs, hoof picks, sponges, sweat scrapers, mane combs, tail brushes, and more!
• Rain gear to stay dry and warm in case of rain or wet conditions. Rain gear includes a waterproof jacket, pants, and boots that can be worn over the regular riding clothes. Some camps may have indoor arenas where riding can continue regardless of the weather, but others may not.
Partner Camp Programs
Fertile Green Farm
Full Moon Farm
Garrison Forest School
Greenspring Valley Hunt Club
High Ridge Farm
Horse and Hive
River Valley Ranch
Second Nature Farm
St. Timothy's School
Sweet Rock Stables
Vintage Oaks Horse Farm
Horseback riding summer camp is an amazing opportunity for kids to enjoy nature, make friends, bond with horses, and develop their riding skills. But before they go, they need to pack some essential items to make their experience safe and enjoyable.
By following these tips on what kids need for horseback riding summer camp, kids can prepare themselves for a wonderful adventure that they will never forget.